Written by Memories Over Macros Coach: Carlos Calero (Learn more about him here)
While the actual act of drinking water itself doesn't necessarily help you drop pounds, drinking enough water can support weight loss a few different ways.
1) Water is Low Calorie
Water is calorie-free and drinking more water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages helps you eliminate empty calories from your diet. If you're having trouble shedding pounds, take a look at your fluid intake and make sure you are accounting for any additional calories you’re adding to your day. Many beverages can be high in added sugar and low in nutrition, which adds empty calories and could throw off your macros balance. In addition, liquid calories tend to not activate your fullness cues the same way solid food does, and you may still feel hungry afterward.
2) Promotes Hydration
Your body depends on water to survive and function properly. Being even mildly dehydrated can negatively impact brain function, mood, heart health, and energy levels. And while you can get water from food and other beverages, there is no better source than water itself. Dehydration can mess directly with your weight loss efforts when it causes food cravings. Hunger can be a sign of early dehydration since your body is using up glycogen stores more quickly and drinking water could help calm your appetite if this is the case.
3) Supports Metabolism
Water also plays multiple roles in the body including supporting digestion, nutrient absorption, and your ability to burn fat for energy. In fact, without water, your body cannot properly metabolize fat and carbohydrates. Some studies even suggest that drinking water could cause an increase in calorie output, supporting greater weight loss.
4) Calms Your Appetite
Water can help fill your stomach and may also help you feel more satisfied. Research suggests that drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal may help you eat fewer calories overall. In one study those who drank 2 cups (~16 ounces) of water before eating, lost 44% more weight in three months, compared to those who didn’t drink any water.
5) Supports Your Workouts
Staying properly hydrated is crucial for your fitness. Staying hydrated for your workouts can help reduce fatigue, increase endurance, lower your maximum heart rate, and help you to be less sore after exercise, helping you get more out of your gym session.
How much water should I drink to lose weight?
The actual amount of water you need each day can be highly dependent on the person. Your fitness level, overall diet, environment, and health conditions can all affect how much water is best. Most people get roughly 20% of their hydration needs from foods and the rest comes from liquids, including water intake. As a rule of thumb, to support hydration needs and support your weight loss efforts focus on the following:
1. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning after waking.
2. Drink one to two glasses of water before each meal to help fill your
stomach and curb your appetite.
3. Drink a cup of water 20 to 30 minutes before you work out and a cup
for each additional 10 to 20 minutes of exercise, depending on the
4. Drink water throughout the day when you feel thirsty.
Tracking Your Intake
A great way to stay on top of your water intake is to track it. Our Trainerize app allows you to input exactly how much water you’re getting each day so you can see how well you’re doing. You can also see whether drinking more water some days helps you control your calories better.
Supplements to help
Don’t forget… use discount code: Aubrie to get 15% OFF your orders!
- Alphamine: Alphamine is the legendary powdered thermogenic, powered by multiple forms of caffeine, choline, and carnitine. Use Alphamine like an energy drink, or combine it with High Volume on your workout days. At 60 servings per bottle you won't find a better value, or a more delicious taste.
- Prolific: Prolific is the pre-workout powerhouse that covers the full spectrum of the ultimate workout experience, from energy and focus, to performance and pump. Prolific will hit you like the first time, every time, making it the last preworkout you'll ever need, without ever feeling that tingly itchy skin. Deliciously flavored and mixes easily.
Blog written by Memories Over Macros Coach: Carlos Calero (learn about our team here)